Monday, May 11, 2009

Tribute to Jonathan White--Inspiration in the Least Expected Places



**Here it is July 21, 2009 and I am very sad, or rather very disturbed about what I have just heard. I have been informed that this fellow-Jonathan White that I wrote about being such an inspiration to those of us with chronic illness, was in fact a hoax.

It is absolutely disgusting that someone would play on the emotions of caring people in an attempt to receive money. On one hand, it was a bit of a relief, simply because my heart just broke for the suffering of this young man. On the other hand I can not believe the things people will do to dupe others out of their money. It's just shameful!!!

He had such a following on Twitter, many people each and everyday supporting him through his supposed illness, myself included. I started following him after I received a message from Demi Moore asking everyone to follow and support Jonathan. This blog post was dedicated to him, his struggles and his strength. I pondered whether to remove this post entirely rather than just add to it. But I believe it is important to leave it simply because of the impact this nonsense could have on those with REAL serious diseases.

If those caring people that gave of their hard-earned money get duped often enough by criminals such as this, perhaps they will think twice about giving in the future in fear that it is yet another hoax. I would like to say I am not surprised but truly I am. You can not go any LOWER than to pull on the heart-strings of people and tell them a tale about a young fellow suffering with brain cancer. Blows my mind it does...I just can't get over how low people will go. WOW is all I can say!

J


Any individual that deals with a chronic health issue day after day realizes just how difficult it is to be positive on their bad days. Most strive every moment for the ability to put everything into perspective based upon the major health problems they must cope with. Today, like most days, my pain is uncontrolled, despite taking enough pain meds to put down a large horse, some days it just doesn't cut it. I'd love to complain but I will not.

Instead I will focus on someone else. Lately, I have found the greatest inspiration on twitter by following a young fellow:@jonthanjay aka Jonathan White. I truly never expected to be so inspired by someone close to 30 years my junior, yet inspire me he has, deeply. Despite living with cancer which is a struggle I also unfortunately know well, his posts NEVER contain complaints. It is rather amazing really, he has every right to complain, yet his posts are always pleasantly upbeat and positive as he truly lives the 'livestrong' mantra.
My last Twitter comment to him was: "I truly marvel at your positive attitude-you are an example to us all.Take care of yourself, I pray for you often."
I pray for this young man several times a day. As the mother of 3 boys, my heart just breaks for his family. He has a list of over 100 things he wants to do before he dies. In my prayers for Jonathan, I pray for a complete recovery so that he may accomplish all on his list and moreI sincerely believe in the power of prayer. Let us all, members of the human race, pray for this young man's full recovery. We need more young people in the world with attitudes like his. All the best to you Jonathan--you and your family will remain in my thoughts and prayers.
J




1 comment:

Jonathan Jay said...

Thank you very much for this blog :)